April 23, 2007

What's important...

Carrying on a Legacy


Family is SO important. We need them...and they need us. At least once a month, I do everything in my power to visit family. You see, I was raised not only by my parents, but also by my grandparents, aunts & uncles, great aunts & great uncles and even great grandparents. I firmly believe it takes a FAMILY to raise a child. There are family members outside of my parents that played a huge role in my upbringing...in teaching me morals and values...in helping mold me into the person I am today. It is important to honor my parents and those extended family members by visiting with them as often as I can and helping my children get to know and love them as I do. I teach Kennedy & Jude how special they are and what an impact they had, and still have, on my life.


My parents taught me so much and I still learn from them almost every day. I want my kids to know them and learn from them the things that I can't teach them. I can't teach my children how special certain people are to me. Oh, I can tell them stories and relate events, but to know someone is to love them. I want my children to know and love their grandparents...Grandmother, Granddad, Janey & Poppa. I want each of those names to carry special memories for them.


From my mother & grandmother I get my love for cooking and doing for others. The number of dresses made for me (and my dolls) are countless. The number of meals prepared with me in mind...even more.


From my daddy & grandfathers I learned self-sacrifice and unconditional love. They loved me and wanted to be a part of my life. I always had good relationships with my dad and grandfathers. Although one of them has already joined Jesus, the others still can touch the lives of my children...and it's my job to make sure my children know them.


My aunt is always so loving and giving. KK and I have always had such a special relationship. I think it may be because we are so much alike.


The uncles were always big toys. Lynn & Joe can always be counted on for fun!


Great aunts and great uncles made an eternal difference. I doubt they all know the strong Christian influence they had on my life. Were it not for them and the example they set, I may not know Christ today.


I even have fond memories of 3 of my great grandparents. That is a privilege I know most people don't have. I cherish those memories with Mom, Granny & GrandDaddy.


My brother, "Unkie", has shown a side we haven't seen in years...his softer side. He is the Chris we all know and love. We've seen his heart again since these kids have come into his life.


Let's face it...it's not easy to load up two kids and drive 130+ miles one-way. Gas is expensive and it's hard work getting everything together for a 2-4 day visit. But, if it means doing without a few things here and there to afford the gas or postponing something we want to do so my children can know their family and so the family can have the joy of knowing my children, then it's all more than worth it. I figure it's all about where my heart is.


Matthew 6:21 reads For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Part of my treasure is definitely my family...and my heart is with them each and every day. To my family, thank you for the legacy...the heritage...the memories.


Janey & the kids.

Working with Pa in the garden.

Planting some flowers with MaMa.

Hanging out with Great Aunt Betty. She and Uncle Tom are just like a bonus set of great grandparents to the kids.

Unkie's whiskers tickle Jude!

No comments: