April 1, 2008

36 weeks...

Today marks 36 weeks pregnant...28 days until due date. Cary went with me to the doctor yesterday since we were discussing options because Kate is still breech. Everything measures right on schedule and I was dilated to 1cm. I gained 4.5 pounds, which puts my total weight gain to 17 pounds for the pregnancy. Dr. wanted to go ahead and schedule the section for 38 weeks...I balked. I asked if she would attempt the version. She did everything in her power to talk me out of it with statistics and how much it would hurt. But I'm willing to play the odds to avoid the section and well, I'm okay with the pain. In my mind it will be much better than surgery. She did another ultrasound just to make sure Kate was in an okay position to be a candidate for the version. We looked for cord around her neck and saw only fat rolls and everything else was in perfect position for an attempted version.

So, I am waiting on a call from the doctor's office. They are supposed to schedule the version for sometime next week. I'll be admitted to the hospital, given a dose of a smooth muscle relaxer to relax my uterus, and given a dose of Demerol to relax me and help with the pain. If it is successful and Kate turns into a head-down position, then they'll send me home and just wait for labor to begin as usual. If it is unsuccessful and there is no fetal distress, then they'll send me home and schedule a section for the following week (38 weeks - week of 4/14). If it is unsuccessful and there is fetal distress, then they'll take me to the OR and do an emergency section right then.

I had scheduled an appointment with a chiropractor in NLR to do some adjustments that are supposed to encourage the baby to turn on her own. But, after talking to Dr. L about it and finding out that she knew NOTHING about it and had NEVER even heard of it. Cary and I decided we would postpone such a thing and reconsider that route if the version failed.

Please be in prayer with us that Kate will turn - whether assisted or not. I truly believe that God didn't mean for children to be delivered by surgical means if it is at all avoidable. I know sometimes it can't be avoided, and I am most definitely willing to undergo a c-section if that ends up being what we need to do. However, in the meantime, I will do everything in my frail human power to help her to be born naturally.

Yesterday, before going into the doctor's office, I was sitting in the van reading from the Book of Esther. I always scan the commentary after I read scripture. This time the commentary really hit home. It read "You were not put in your current circumstances for your own purpose. You were put there to serve God." I have prayed continuously since then and asked God to show me how best to serve Him in these circumstances.

No comments: