A while back, Kennedy and I agreed to have a "baking day" each Friday. The reason was two-fold: it would give she and I some quality time in the kitchen each week and it would give the family some goodies to munch on over the weekend. Well, Friday has not been a good day for baking in recent weeks, so we have switched our baking time to Wednesday. The youth group at church is usually a beneficiary. It works out well for Kennedy and me too. We get to bake whatever we want and save a little for the family. All the while, she learns a valuable lesson in giving...just doing something for someone because it's such a blessing.
So, this week she wanted to make mini cupcakes. I let her pick the icing and sugar colors. You can tell from the pics below that these were quite possibly the brightest cupcakes ever made...EVER! I was seeing spots by the time we got done icing all 57 cupcakes - yes, there were really 57 of them! We are using the last of a really fun Christmas gift she received from Uncle Collin & Aunt Kathleen last year. It was a box chock full of baking stuff...mixes, icings, decorating sugars, sprinkles, etc. Thanks C&K!!! We have had so much fun with it. What a brilliant gift for the little Paula Dean!
Kennedy and I both had icing stains all over our hands, I burnt my finger on the oven rack and her shirt...well, it's probably one of those "just for playing" shirts now. BUT, it was a precious day in my memory bank and I hope she remembers it as well. As a little girl, I logged many hours in the kitchen with my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt & great aunt. Cooking, especially baking, is a family event in our family. It's a time to get together and learn family traditions...old and new. It's a time to make memories...precious ones. I tear up as I am typing this knowing my girls will never know baking with my grandmother, as today she was admitted to the hospital and is fading fast. I know I can never fill her shoes, but I pray I can pass on her love for baking, cooking and spending time IN THE KITCHEN.






4 comments:
WOW...those are some bright cupcakes. Looks like you two had fun!
I second Erica's comment: those things are crazy bright! I love 'em!
And remember....we keep people alive with our words, our stories, and our deeds. Just like we keep Christ alive in our hearts and lives by talking about Him and living out His character, that is how you will keep your MawMaw alive for your children and grandchildren.
I know your hurting and I will pray for you! ps...Those are some crazy bright cupcakes :)
hey girl, i am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. that is such a hard thing to go through. i know your heart must be heavy over it.
it is so neat that you are baking with your daughter.
i think you and i are two peas in a cupcake-i mean pod- because i LOVE baking as well!
tonight i made a streusel cake and some chocolate chip banana nut muffins for breakfast tommorow. yum-o.
Post a Comment