February 22, 2009

Not whining (really)...

I have had the same headache since Thursday. It is Sunday. That is 4 days of the same headache. It has changed in intensity over the course of the 4 days, but nonetheless, it's been there the whole time. I'm not 100% sure what causes the headache, but I have had the exact same headache off and on (increasing in frequency) for the last 4 1/2 years. When the headache comes it stays for several days. At its mildest, it's a nuisance, but I can function and work through the pain. At its worst, it's debilitating, but with 3 toddlers, going to bed is not an option.

I have been to the doctor twice about it. The first dr visit she sent me to physical therapy because I was still nursing Kate, couldn't take any meds and she feels it is a muscular headache and tension related. WHY WOULD I HAVE TENSION!?!?!?! We did 2 PT visits a week for 2 weeks and it seemed to help. But, I can't continue PT twice a week indefinitely and take care of 3.5 kids...the scheduling is near impossible. The second dr visit, after I was done with nursing Kate, yielded me some high-powered headache meds and some muscle relaxers. The headache meds worked, but caused me to be incoherent and unable to take care of the kids. Never took any of the muscle relaxers because I knew I would have to go to bed and not be able to get up and the timing just never worked out on that.

So, here we are again with the headaches ever increasing in intensity and frequency, and me, pregnant, unable to take any meds (not that I could and function anyway). My point in sharing this..if anyone feels the need to come over and rub my head, neck & shoulders, please come on over! You are welcome any time. Or if you know a good physical therapist, massage therapist or chiropractor that would like to do some pro bono work and make house calls for the needy, send 'em my way. Just kidding.....kinda. (o:

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey girlie! You know this migraine girl can relate to those headaches. It is HARD to function (1) in pain or (2) on pain meds. I am usually forced to choose one or the other, though. Mine get better during pregnancy, but are related to hormones. Yours might be, too...since you have had them since you started having babies. Mine got out of control after I had Connor. That being said....I am your girl for sympathy, advice, venting, head rubbing, etc!!!:)
OH- and one thing I use that is not medicine is to put heat on my neck and head....I have a little "pack" that I heat in the microwave...but you could use a heating pad, too.
I am going to pray specifically for this headache to GO AWAY.

Heather said...

Hey girlie! You know this migraine girl can relate to those headaches. It is HARD to function (1) in pain or (2) on pain meds. I am usually forced to choose one or the other, though. Mine get better during pregnancy, but are related to hormones. Yours might be, too...since you have had them since you started having babies. Mine got out of control after I had Connor. That being said....I am your girl for sympathy, advice, venting, head rubbing, etc!!!:)
OH- and one thing I use that is not medicine is to put heat on my neck and head....I have a little "pack" that I heat in the microwave...but you could use a heating pad, too.
I am going to pray specifically for this headache to GO AWAY.