June 20, 2009

My mental state...

Had a meltdown yesterday and cried most of the afternoon. I know it was 99% hormones. I wasn't tired since I have gotten tons of rest here at my mom and dad's. The kids were great too. Bottom line was I just got my feelings hurt and when I am only 8 weeks away from due date, that is a bad combination.

One moment I was crying because I was so blessed, then I reminded myself that my feelings were hurt (you know, gotta wallow in it for a while). One moment I was crying because I am so thrilled that Jude is 90% potty trained...he went a whole day without even one accident, then I reminded myself that my feelings were hurt (again with the wallowing). And so on, and so on, and so on...

Kate is doing well in weening off the bottle. We of course we switched her from formula to milk immediately after her 1st birthday, but I decided it was time to get rid of the bottle altogether since we'll have another one hitting the bottle soon. (o: Right now, she gets a sippy cup unless she is going down for a nap or for the night. That seems to be working well for us. Hopefully, we'll be bottle free before Shep arrives. This is bitter-sweet for both Kate and me. She's my baby girl and I think she enjoys being the baby as much as I enjoy her filling that role. She's about to have to give it up a little sooner than I think either of us would like.

Trying to teach Kennedy to be Kennedy is proving trying at best. Kennedy was an only child for really MORE than 2 years since a newborn baby doesn't make people laugh at his jokes or put on shows in the middle of the living room. She was still ALL THAT for at least another 6 months after Jude was born. Then just about the time she began to get used to the idea of having a brother, Kate came along....A SISTER! Not only another girl to steal even more of her attention, but she has had to share a room with her and share her stuff. Right now it's still a huge adjustment for Kennedy. If something Jude or Kate does receives laughter, then you can bet she is gonna do the same thing...but much bigger and louder. So much so, that it borders on annoying sometimes. I have talked to her about how we love her just the way she is and we don't want her to be, or act like, Jude or Kate or Shep. We just want her to be Kennedy. Sometimes she gets it for brief moments. I have found that it helps if I include her in the laughing at Jude or Kate when they are being extra goofy and if I make sure that we (she and I) come up with things to do that are just our projects. Now that requires her getting to skip a nap one or two days a week and do special stuff with Mommy, but if it helps her become more comfortable in her own skin, then so be it. Sometimes our projects are nothing more than her helping me with a cleaning project in the house, but she loves that she is the only one helping and we can do lots of talking during that time. More often that not, though, our projects are cooking and she really gets into that.

Typically, if my pregnancy hormones are abducting my body (and brain) and my mental state is far from stable, (which was the case yesterday) I need a project. So, yesterday afternoon and evening, I cleaned out 4 cabinets in my parents' kitchen. Cleaning, throwing away, organizing, etc. That was so therapeutic to me. Cleaning is always something I can do that takes my mind off my "poor pitiful me" mindset. Plus there is always laughter involved with cleaning out something that belongs to someone else. TRUE!?!? If I am cleaning out something of my own, such laughter is usually replaced with digust and continually asking myself "why in the world do I have, or did I keep, this?" Don't act like this is a foreign concept, you know exactly what I am talking about. BUT, someone elses treasures are often quite amusing. Plus it's always great fun to see my mother and daddy react to how much of their stuff I get rid of. (o: GOOD TIMES!

So, I guess that's all for now. It's 5:11 am and I am awake! WHY! I even took drugs to help me sleep last night. BUT, I woke up at 4:30 in a panic that the kids weren't okay and had to go and check on them. All is well. Dr appointment Monday, will post after.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Bless your heart. Things just get overwhelming(sp) sometimes don't they?! I'll be praying for you! Love Ya!