July 21, 2009

Shep - 36 weeks...

Okay, I must admit I am a little disappointed and down regarding the appt yesterday. I had hoped she would accidentally break my water or maybe feel sorry for me and say we could go ahead and induce this week. But, my wishful, and completely impossible, thinking, didn't happen. Deep down I knew none of that was going to happen, but a girl can dream!

Shep's heart rate has dipped into the 120s. This is good because it means he is mature and ready for life outside the womb. My weight was up 3.5 pounds (in just 2 weeks!) That makes my total weight gain up to 21 pounds. Not too shabby, but you know how a girl is about putting on weight...any weight. With every slide of the scale I cringed. I am dilated to "almost 3" she said...."or a very stretchy 2 1/2" and 70 to 80% effaced. She mentioned a scheduled induction at 38 1/2 weeks. That would be sometime the first week of August. I am hoping and praying for the 4th (I have my crazy reasons). However, she also said she "you might do this one without my help." My mother, and some others, have commented along the same lines. I would LOVE to go into labor on my own, but I really just don't think it's gonna happen. I hope I am wrong. I wouldn't know what to do, and would probably freak out a little, if I actually went into labor without first checking into the hospital and having her break my water.

As was the case with the other 3, I am hoping for a drug-free birth. That means no pitocin (the work of the devil) and no epidural. "Induction" for me means simply breaking my water. All 3 times before, true labor hasn't begun until she broke my water. I managed to deliver Kate with only a couple 1/2 doses of demerol. I hope I can handle this one with that or less.

Go back in a week...will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are my hero for the natural delivery!!!! But like I've told you before....you are the all-around woman! You amaze me!