July 20, 2009

Surprise...

Last night our precious church family surprised us with a shower for Shep. It was so sweet and thoughtful and they really did surprise us. We had NO IDEA. Each July, we have a fellowship referred to as our church-wide "Birthday Party." There are 12 tables set up, one for each month of the year, and each is decorated by a different lady in the church. It's always a lot of fun to see all of the decorations and everyone's point of view and creativity on how that particular month should be represented. This year I did the October table in camo and orange with my friend Saundra's stash of antlers as a centerpiece. Then I scattered "hot hands", a couple of ammo boxes and a camo hat. It was pretty adorable...if I do say so myself. Anyway, each person that attends the party is told to sit at the table representing the month in which they were born. One of the big points of this particular church fellowship is that it forces us to have conversations and spend some time with church members that we might not otherwise often visit much. It's so much fun!

So, last night, they call Cary and I up to the front. Note that I had not yet had a chance to get around the fellowship hall to see all of the table decor. They tell us we are to sit at the August table because this year's Birthday Party is also a celebration for Shep. The August table is decorated with Noah's Ark and baby boy blue. How awesome is that!?! Most people know that I LOVE surprises, and I love this fellowship each year, so it was just a great night for me all around. We received many nice gifts, including clothes, diapers, wipes, gift cards and cash. One memorable gift was from our youth minister and his wife...diapers and a stackable cupcake carrier that holds 24 cupcakes. She knew I wanted the cupcake carrier and had been eyeballing one for years. I guess she felt like with 4 kids I was going to be making a heap of cupcakes in the coming years and toting them to parties all over the place. It was thoughtful AND cracked me up. (o:

Dr visit today for Shep. Will post with report later tonight or tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Riley Cate said...

I want to see pictures!!!

Heather said...

This is SUCH a great idea for a fellowship! And I am so glad you had a sweet shower! You definitely deserve it!