August 7, 2009

Eating out...

A few minutes before 5:00 this evening, Cary and I were just hanging out in our room, and there was a knock at the door. It was Tracy, Shep's nurse this shift, from the NICU. She had Shep with her in one of the rolling bassinets. His IV and IV pole were in tow, but all other gizmos and gadgets, tape and sensors were gone. He looked like a precious little baby. We could finally see his face and hold him and kiss on him. Tracy had brought him to nurse! I was grinning from ear to ear. He was "eating out"...so to speak...since he had been dining in the nursery, through a tube, since Wednesday evening. He did really well with his first time nursing and they brought him back again at 8:00. He didn't do quite as well nursing the second time because he really just wanted enough milk to settle down and go to sleep. He is snoozing now in his Daddy's arms. Each time we get him to feed him, we get to keep him for an hour and we try to split that time with each other...half time with Mommy...half time with Daddy. We have had such a blessing this afternoon and are so thankful to God for Shep's improvement. We will still be here until he completes his 7-day round of antibiotics, which should be Monday. They may then discharge him Monday or they may keep him another 24 hours just to watch him. We're not sure yet. But, I had rather have him here at the hospital and doing well, then at home too quickly and not doing well. God is good...all the time!

Side note: due to the title of this post, I must share with you that Cary and I also ate out this evening. We had a quick, but fun, date...dinner at Moe's and ice cream at Marble Slab. It was nice to get away for a bit and spend time with the love of my life.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This post makes my heart smile!!! I am SO HAPPY Shep is doing well....I am praying!
Also- YUM! I love Moes' and Marble Slab!!!