September 23, 2009

In the kitchen...

Last night's dinner was a creation of my own. Pork chops in the crock pot. AND...they were delicious! I layered onions, pork chops and cream of mushroom soup in the crock pot (with some added seasoning, water and lots of mushrooms) and let it cook for several hours. We also had rice (with the mushroom gravy over it), pinto beans, and fried okra. It was a good meal and nice to have something a little different.

I so get in a rut with my cooking and end up cooking the same things over and over again. When I find myself in that rut, I pull out my excel spreadsheet I made a while back. It has become quite a valuable tool. It includes everything I could think of that I can cook...entrees, sides and breads. It helps me think of things I may not have cooked in a while and helps me to have something in hand when grocery shopping. Another thing I do with it is hand it to my husband with a hi-liter and have him mark some things that sound good. Then I have other ideas of meals to piece together. When the kids are old enough to read, I plan to have them help with deciding what we eat. I always decide the when, because I know what kind of time I have, our schedule, etc. But at least if they mark things, then I can buy the proper ingredients and will be able to prepare meals with what I have on hand. Make yourself a spreadsheet...it's quite a handy helper!

No comments: