October 1, 2009

In the kitchen...

Well, I am finally getting back into some sense of normalcy around here. Shep is now 8 weeks old and he is learning that I have to cook dinner at a certain time and that time is NOT a good time for him to need to eat. (o:

I can't remember what we have had each night this week, so I will just list what I can remember.

Italian Chicken - boneless, skinless chicken breasts skillet fried in olive oil and good seasons Italian dressing powder/mix (used to use butter insteal of oil, but I was out of butter - used it all on the biscuits mentioned below - will definitely use oil from now on)

Brown rice with leftover mushroom gravy (from the pork chops several days ago)

Fresh purple hull peas from my MIL's garden (so fresh she shelled them on the way to our house!)

Red Lobster Biscuits - you can find a recipe for these online made with Bisquick...I've made them several times in the past. However, if you take frozen biscuits and brush the tops with melted butter, sprinkle with garlic powder and a little salt and parsley, then bake them as directed, they work as a very close substitute (and pretty quick too)

Breakfast - one night we had bacon, eggs, biscuits and honey-butter. This meal is always great when you are rushed and still want to eat good. Kennedy and Jude made the honey-butter and I made sure they made extra so we have some on hand for future meals.

HomeStyle Bakes - Rachel told me about these (no need to click on the link, she hasn't updated her blog in 8 months - love ya, Rach!). We tried the Cheesy Chicken Alfredo and I was pleased. For $3 it provided an entree for 5 people. I added a side salad and we had a pretty good meal. I have also tried the Pizza Pasta as well and it was decent, but I didn't think it was quite as tasty as the CCA. I recommend giving one of these a shot. I am not in love with them and I'm not gonna cry out in the night for a Homestyle Bake, BUT it is really comforting to have one tucked away in the pantry and know that you can have a hot meal on the table for your family in 30 minutes even if you find yourself in a tight.

1 comment:

Lamar and Rachel Keller said...

Ok...I know it might be self-torture, but I just LOVE to read about all that good food. Oh well. One day when we return it will just make it all taste that much better.

PS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDE!!