When I was pregnant with Kennedy, my grandmother made this quilt for her out of fabric that I chose for her nursery and bedding. She also made a matching bed skirt and bumper pad for the baby bed. It must be noted that the entire time my grandmother worked on it, she mumbled and grumbled about how "things for a baby girl should be pink, not red...and certainly not black." (o:
Then, when I was pregnant with Jude, my grandmother was unable to sew, but so desperately wanted to be involved in making Jude's quilt. So, my mother made it at my grandmother's house using my grandmother's machine. The cording around the edges was covered in denim taken from my grandfather's overalls and the pocket (embroidered with Jude's initials) also came from an old pair of his overalls.
My mother made Kate's quilt using her own machine, which she bought sometime between the time Jude was born and the time Kate was born. It is a rag quilt with intentional fraying at the seams. I also embroidered 8 squares with lady bugs and her name and an initial and they were worked into the quilt pattern.
Shep's quilt is very similar to Jude's using the denim cording and a pocket from my grandfather's overalls, but Sheps also includes quilt squares cut from those same overalls. The pocket is also embroidered with Shep's monogram.
This is the pillow top that I locker hooked for Kennedy out of the fabric scraps left over from her quilt. A friend that owns an upholstery shop actually made a pillow out of it for me.
This is crewel work that Cary's mom did probably 30 years ago. It hung in Cary and his brother's room when they were growing up. It now hangs in my boys' room. What a treasure!
Needless to say, all of these items are valuable to me and were definitely stitched with love!



No comments:
Post a Comment