April 1, 2010

Pa...

Wednesday, March 17, 2010, was St. Patrick's Day to most people.  For me, it was the day I received a phone call at 5:30 am.  It was the day my mother called to tell me my Pa was gone.  He was my hero.  But, he didn't see himself as much of a person to be called "hero."  Maybe that humility added to what I saw in him.  He was larger than life even though I don't remember a time when he could stand up to his full 6'2".  He loved his wife, my Mama.  He loved his children, my mother and her brother and sister.  He loved his grandchildren (5 of them) and great-grandchildren (8 of them).  He was a family man and worked hard all his life to provide and care for his family.  At his funeral, his good character was a common topic.  "He was a good man" was said several times.  I'm excited for him now, although I can't say that excitement was my first emotion when he died.  It was Kennedy's first emotion though.  When I told her he had gone to heaven to be with Jesus, her face lit up!  She was absolutely glowing...until she saw my face, my tears.  Her smile drooped and she said, "But, Mommy, he is with his wife...and JESUS!  Don't be sad."  Wow - such the encourager...such a maturity and understanding of that peace that passes all understanding.  Oh, how I wish we all maintained our child-like faith.  One of the wonderful things about Pa is that I KNOW, without a doubt, that he IS with Jesus.  He and my grandmother taught me Bible stories, took me to church, prayed with me, taught me about loving others, demonstrated Christian morals, values and character and left behind a legacy.  For that, I am proud to have known them, proud to have loved them and proud to have been loved by them.

Pa loved to garden and loved to share with friends and family what he grew in his garden.  The casket spray had beautiful flowers, of course, but also included many brightly colored fresh veggies.  When you got close to it, you could smell the onions.  (o:  He had been gardening at least since his Daddy passed away...when Pa was only 10 years old.  I loved to "help" him in the garden.  I loved to gather eggs in the barn.  Anything I could do with him, I was there.  He would let me "drive" the tractor out across the pasture while sitting on his lap.  He would let me help him feed the catfish in the pond.  And when I stayed the night at their house, we always ate ice cream and chocolate syrup after dinner, then I slept between Mama and Pa in their bed.  They spoiled me and I admit it.  And, I can't describe how much I miss them.

Pa had congestive heart failure and possibly colon cancer, but he refused the suggested colonoscopy to find out.  He said it was pointless.  What were they going to do if they found out he did have cancer?  I saw his point and understood his refusal of the test.  He was 88 years old.  What WAS the point?  He lived a long, full life and was ready to "go home."  He was tired.  We were sad to see him go, but overjoyed at the homecoming he was experiencing - with Jesus, with his wife, with his parents, with some siblings, and I'm sure many, many more.

I snapped several pics during that week.  Thought I would share a few that are meaningful to me, made us laugh or just because I simply don't want to forget.

The kids in the front yard before we headed to Hope for the visitation.  Oh, we did change Jude's clothes after we got there, but the girls wore their tutus and were too too cute!

My parents are in the middle of a full-house remodel/renovation (no beds in the house right now except theirs) so the 6 of us got a room at the Best Western.  We loved the unusual ammenity of our very own fly-swatter hanging on the wall just outside the bathroom.

Yes, all 6 of us were in one room with 2 queen size beds.  Kennedy, Jude & Kate shared a bed.  They had so much fun, but we thought we were never going to get them to go to sleep.

Shep passed out in the play pen we borrowed from my parents.

This picture was taken a few days after the funeral.  William Jude Condray and George Shepard "Shep" Condray.  Both were named (in part) after my grandpa.  His name was William Henry Shepard.

And, this post wouldn't be complete without including a picture of one of Pa's favorite foods.  Hot Water Cornbread...kind of a cross between cornbread and hushpuppies.  My grandma taught me how to make it a few years ago and it has become one of Cary's favorites as well.  I never eat it, or even think about it, without thinking of Pa...and I always smile.

1 comment:

Little Oak Table said...

oh paige, i am so sorry to hear this. i know this has left an empty hole in your life, i will be praying for you these next days and weeks as God brings you to mind. it is hard to loose family members who were so special to us. hugs to you.