June 9, 2011

Sacred moments...

By Christy Jordan at Southern Plate

I hope you’re having a great summer so far. I’m working more hours than ever but that just means that I am making time with my family and even bigger priority, which kind of evens it out. It’s amazing how little time we spend with those around us, even though we may be in the same house or even the same room. I’ve found that unless I make it a point, spend time with a purpose, I’m not really connecting with the kids.

I was reminded of that this morning when I was trying to take a quick shower and both kids kept coming into the bathroom to talk to me. I got a little frustrated for a moment and thought “Isn’t anything sacred?” and then that voice in my head answered “Yes, every moment of your time with them is sacred, so enjoy it now.”

It hit me in that moment how wonderful my life is that I have these two kids who want to talk to me so much that they can’t seem to go fifteen minutes without telling me about something, showing me something they drew, or giving me a hug. These are sacred moments. We may feel a little stressed  by them from time to time but whenever I do I try to take a moment to step back and imagine how awful it would be were any one of my blessings taken away. That job you complain about- What if you lost it today? Your mother who calls too much – one day you’d give anything to hear her voice one last time so savor it now. The dirty dishes in the kitchen – what if you didn’t have food to feed your family?

It all puts it in perspective. So if you find yourself, in the course of your busy day riddled with interruptions, thinking  “Is nothing sacred?” , just answer yourself right off “Yes, it sure is. So enjoy it.”

No comments: