April 12, 2008

Version results...

I apologize for not getting an update posted until today, but it's been a little crazy around here.

So, for the details...I was at the hospital at 10:30 just as they had asked, but due to the fronts/storms several women had gone into labor and they were overloaded to say the least. We were finally called back a little after 1:00 and they put me in a bed in triage. They started an IV, had me sign all the proper consents. Then we waited until they had an OR available. Not that we needed it, it just had to be available just in case. That was another hour plus. Once the OR was available, Dr. L came over (well after 2:00 I think) to do a quick ultrasound before they administered any drugs. After determining that Kate was still very much in the breach position, they gave me an injection of Terbutiline in my arm and a heavy dose of Demerol & Phenergan in my IV. She began the version attempt. The actual procedure lasted less than 30 seconds...and success!!! It took longer to start my IV than that! Kate flipped right around without any problem. Had I known that the procedure was going to go so smoothly and quickly, I would have turned down the pain meds. They kept me for another hour plus to monitor both Kate and me and for us to sleep off some of the meds. Kate was/is doing well. I was having mild, irregular contractions, but we all expected that after the version. We were home around 5:00 pm. I was not supposed to eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to the version just in case I ended up in the OR. Cary ate a small breakfast, but wouldn't eat lunch or a snack since I couldn't eat either. Needless to say, we were famished by the time we got home. My wonderful mother had roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, and pinto beans hot and ready to eat when we arrived! It was a LONG day, but well worth it to me.

"...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed,
you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there'
and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:20

Thank you, LORD, for moving my mountain! I continue to have those same contractions...as I have for weeks. Kate has settled into her new position and is still active and doing well. My next Dr visit is Monday at 9:30.

No comments: