October 28, 2008

In the kitchen...

Wow - I'm way behind on my "in the kitchen" posts, so rather than back track, just know that the Condrays have been eating well over the past few weeks. I'll just start with this week.

Last night, I sauteed strips of onion and bell pepper in roast drippings and butter (nothing low fat about my cooking), then added little strips of the left over roast and cooked it all together for a while. We used that to make Philly steak sandwiches.

Tonight, we had salmon patties, butter beans, corn, fried potatoes, asparagus and corn bread. Yes, it was WAY too much food for us, but I was trying to make enough to take some over to my neighbors. They help us out in so many ways and she doesn't like to cook. So, I try to take as much food as I can over to them. It's a feeble attempt to show my appreciation for all they do.

I also made more Amish bread today and sent one loaf across the road with the leftovers. The Amish bread is something that I absolutely love. Rachel once said bread making was very rewarding...I very much agree. I get so excited once I bake it and am able to share it with my family and give some to friends as well. I'll be making at least two more loaves Thursday. I'm giddy just thinking about it. I know this makes me a nerd, and well, if the shoe fits...

Tomorrow night we'll be having leftover roast in the form of BBQ sandwiches. I cooked this roast last week and we have managed to get 5 meals out of it. Now that's good planning. I'm patting myself on the back for this one because I don't manage to do something that well very often.

No comments: