November 15, 2008

In the kitchen...

Dinner tonight: the kids had ravioli, Cary had leftover stew that my mom made while we were in Hope and I had a bagel. So, you're wondering why there's a picture of a pie? There is a perfectly good explanation (for the picture...not for the sorry meal). Cary made chili tonight for the 4th Annual Bigelow Baptist Church Men's Chili Cook-Off. Judging begins tomorrow at 5 pm. He says he gonna win this year after 3 years of not faring so well. Since I am not eligible for the chili cook-off due to my gender, I will provide a dessert. I made a microwave chocolate pie. Yes, it's in a store-bought graham cracker crust. The way I see it, if you are gonna take the short cut of making it in the microwave, you might as well take all the short cuts you can and just pour it in a pre-made crust too. Anyway, the pie tastes just like regular old chocolate pie you cook and stir forever on the stove top. BUT, this one you whisk in a microwave-safe bowl and it's done in 6-8 minutes and it's impressive. Just top it with meringue or cool-whip. Maybe one day I'll actually put it in a real pie crust in a real pie plate. I also have the same micro-wave recipe for a coconut cream pie. Then I made an earthquake cake, which I call an ugly cake because it is just that...ugly. Presentation is lacking, but taste more than makes up for it.

No comments: