February 11, 2009

Sour dough bread saga...

I had high hopes...maybe too high. My BIL & SIL (Thanks C&K) got me a gift certificate to King Arthur Flour for Christmas. What an AWESOME gift...very ME. I studied the catalog for several weeks and finally decided on some sour dough starter and a crock to hold it. The starter didn't cost much at all, that way, just in case the starter/bread didn't work out, at least I would still have the crock and could continue on in my quest for the perfect sour dough bread. BRILLIANT!

Well, it took every bit of 16 hours to "resuscitate" the starter after I received it. I followed the instructions to the letter. Then I made the bread the next day. So sad to say nothing but disappointment. Not only did the bread taste bad, it was hard and ugly. I tasted it, Cary tasted it, Kennedy tasted it and we all agreed. It was NOT a keeper.

I grew up eating a sour dough bread that was not at all anything remotely similar to what this starter provided. So, I tossed the starter. Of course, as every girl does, I shared this sad experience with my mother. She, being an amazing MOM, promptly (albeit a little accidentally) found me TWO new starters very similar to the one that produced the bread I grew up eating...one white, one whole wheat! What more could a girl ask for? I have not yet received the starters from her, but I have my KAF crock clean and ready. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: