August 7, 2009

Shep - 3 days old...

So, thanks to my fabulous husband, I now have the laptop up and running and internet access in my room in the hospital. He got me all fixed up last night. I am so excited to be able to post from here and not wait until I make a flying trip home. However, I have yet to be able to pull pics from my camera to the laptop...it only works at home.

Anyway, Cary and I are listed as "boarders" here at CRMC. We are in a dorm/apartment like room right across from the nursery and NICU. We have a full-size bed, a recliner, a rocking chair, a bathroom and a TV. That's it and I guess that's all we need. Last night was our first night here and it wasn't bad. It's nice to know that Shep is right across the hall and if he needs anything from us, we can be there in literally less than 10 steps. I think our room here is probably closer than our room to his at home. He is getting fantastic care in the NICU and the nurses are taking good care of Cary and I as well.

Sometimes, it is a little frustrating to see a different pediatrician each day, but I understand we must speak with the one that is on call and looking after him at the moment. I did just now speak with today's on-call pediatrician and she is hesitant to call this "fluid" on his lungs anymore. Apparently, if it were just fluid, it would have dissipated by now. His chest x-rays still show some opacity in his lungs, so she is bordering on calling it pneumonia. Soooo, with that being said, the pediatrician had rather err on the side of caution and increase the antibiotics to 7 days. That means, it looks like we'll be here until Monday or Tuesday. Also, his bilirubin was at 16 this morning and he is a little jaundice, so they have him on light therapy at least until morning. He is filling up diapers like a champ though and apparently that also helps to lower the bilirubin. He took 35 ccs at the last feeding and handled it well. They are increasing that by 5 ccs every other feeding as long as he is keeping it down.

When we visited him this morning, he was sleeping soundly on his belly after a bath. They had recently moved his IV from his left hand to his left foot due to some irritation and puffiness in his little hand. And, they are no longer having to suction any air or bile from his stomach. The feeding tube is still in, but there is no syringe permanently attached to the end of it. The feeding tube is taped to his upper lip and it looks like he has a white mustache. (o:

That's about all I know to tell now. Will update as I know more. Side note: had to temporarily change the blog layout because I can't view it here at the hospital as it was. (just in case you were wondering)

No comments: