February 9, 2010

I need my Shepard...

I hear that almost every day from Jude.  When he wants to see his brother, that is what he tells me.  The other day, he said it and it struck me differently.  God used that little boy to speak to me.  Profound words from a 3-year-old. 

I need my Shepard.

I need my SHEPHERD.

SHEPHERD is defined as 1. a person who herds, tends, and guards sheep , 2. a person who protects, guides, or watches over a person or group of people, 3. a member of the clergy, 4. the Shepherd, Jesus Christ. It's important that we know WHO He is and WHAT he does as Shepherd.  We need to be aware of His role in our life and allow Him to be who He is and do His job.

I need MY Shepherd.

MY is defined as a form of the possessive case of I used as an attributive adjective.  Possessive - wow.  We possess Him as our very own.  Our very own Savior.  How do we take care of this possession?  How do we take care of other possessions?

I NEED my Shepherd.

NEED is defined as to have need of; require.  If you require something, that means you must have it, right?  You have to have eggs to make cookies or your cookies aren't going to be so good.  I know this from experience.  Try making cookies without the eggs sometime.  They are total flops, literally.  They don't plump up real pretty, they stick to the pan and run all over the place because there is nothing to hold them together.  Those cookies NEED those eggs to be what they are intended to be.  We NEED Jesus Christ!  I need Him so I can be all that he intends me to be.

I NEED MY SHEPHERD.

Don't we all?  Yet, we aren't nearly as honest and forthcoming about it as Jude is.  Jude states it as fact.  "I need him."  Jude begs to see him.  It's almost an aching in his voice.  I want to wake up every day, LORD, and be that aware of my need for You.  I want to do everything in my power to spend time with you.
Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd...

Another scripture I find very encouraging to me as a mother is Isaiah 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.  And I am so thankful for His gentle guidance.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Great Post My Friend!