April 29, 2010

Kate's party...

For Kate's 2nd birthday party, we celebrated at home with close family and friends.  Dinner included spaghetti carbonara (one of the kids' faves), garlic knots from a local italian eatery and a fresh green salad.  This is a shot of the kid's table.  Yes, that's Steve at the kid's table and yes, that is where he should have been sitting.  If the shoe fits!  (o:

She had so much fun opening her gifts and got LOTS of help from Kennedy & Jude.  She is still enjoying playing with them all and wearing her new clothes.  She LOVES her new outfit from Erica with the "boo" (blue) shirt.  She says that "boo" is her favorite color although she consistently points to pink and calls it "boo".

When she saw her birthday cake for the first time, she grinned, tucked her chin a little and said "Mimmie."  Mimmie Mouse is by far her favorite Disney character and I knew her birthday cake had to be Mimmie.

She did a fantastic job blowing out the candles.  I thought I was going to have to send Kennedy to the other room to get her to quit "helping" with blowing out the candles.  I thought Kate, at the very least, deserved an opportunity to TRY to blow them out.  And she managed to do it all by herself!

The only Mimmie cake pan I could find was a little out of my price range.  So, I improvised and talked with my muses and this is what I came up with.  I baked the cake in the Mickey pan that I used for Jude's birthday cake last year.  Then I decapitated Mickey.  Mwah ha ha ha!  I decorated the head just like I did before, added eyelashes and a bow made of real pink & white ribbon (Thank you, E, for the idea!).  AND, Vwa-la! He he he.  A MIMMIE CAKE!  It was pretty small and I had all of the body left undecorated, so.....

 
Chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, cool whip and strawberries....and POOF, a trifle!  There was plenty for everyone.

Shep even got in on the trifle action and he was a happy boy!

5 comments:

Lamar and Rachel Keller said...

You are killing poor Lamar with that picture of the awesome looking layered dessert.....we miss you and your cooking! :)

Becke' said...

cute minnie cake and the trifle looks divine!

Bubba Jack said...

Such a cute cake! You are so creative and crafty!!!

Collin said...

Looks like you had a fun, sugary time. Hope it was a great one!

The Jennings said...

Kate is precious! You are so creative with your cake and desert!

Gretchan