August 26, 2010

Shocked...

To say I am shocked is an understatement.  The reality of it just a little more than I can handle.  I can't sweep it under the rug because it's staring me in the face each and every day.  My little girl is in kindergarten!  How did this happen?  I have been here all along.  It's like someone pulled the rug from under me.  I just can't describe this feeling.  Of course, I know I have to let her grow up and I can't keep her here with me forever and blah, blah, blah.  But that doesn't make handling the emotion of it any easier.

She is doing really well in school.  Today marks DAY 6 of this leg on her education journey.  Though we all know her education began at home...but that's another post.  Her teacher is Mr. Howse.  Although I didn't see it, someone told me they saw him interviewed on the Channel 7 news last Wednesday evening.  He seems to be a really good teacher and not your typical kindergarten teacher (high-pitched sing-song voice...you know what I mean) and I know that Kennedy will respond to that environment well.  He rewards the kids for good behavior instead of just reacting to the bad behavior.  I have to say I like that one too.  Kennedy already got a note home from the teacher (which could've been a bad thing).  It said "Kennedy had a fantastic day.  She is doing very well in school and leading the class by example."  WOW!  I am SO proud of her.  Mr. Howse hands out clothespins for those students doing well.  Once a student receives 10 clothespins, he/she can get something out of the treasure chest.  Kennedy got her 10th clothespin on Tuesday - only the 4th day of school - and was the first one to do so.  The child thrives on competition.

Each year, on the first day of school, I have those Condray kids that are school-age stand in the same place so I can take their picture.  Here is the progression that brings a tear to my eye.


from the top down...
2007 - 2 yr old preschool
2008 - 3 yr old preschool
2009 - 4 yr old preschool
2010 - kindergarten

No comments: